3.06.2011

We're going to the races!

I have decided to run two races this year. And yes, believe or not, I am totally excited!

First, I have decided to run a marathon. Last year, as my faithful readers know, I did a half-marathon. After completing the race, I decided that I really didn't want to run any further than 13.1 miles. The more I thought about it, however, I changed my mind. (Crazy, right?) Since running a marathon is on my bucket list, and I am 26 this year (get the correlation?), and I am not planning on being pregnant anytime soon, this seemed like the best time to do it, if I was going to do it at all. The trouble is, I can't decide which one to run. The first, is the Metro Health Grand Rapids Marathon (which of course, is in Grand Rapids), and the second is the Ringside Fitness Marquette Marathon (which is all the way up in the U.P.) So help me out people, which race should I pick? Here's how I see it:

Grand Rapids: The race is close to home, and wouldn't really require much driving to get there or any hotel or lodging, since I could drive there the morning of the race. And since it is close, people, if they wanted to, could come cheer me on. It is on a paved course, and looks not too difficult. However, it is in a city with no pretty views.

Marquette: The race is on a lakeside town on Lake Superior, and some of the course runs along the lake! I don't think you could ask for a better course setting. Dave is probably going to run this one, so it would be fun to run with him. It is however, super far away. And if I do decide to do this one, questions of logding, babysitters, etc. come it to play. But it could also be seen as a fun vacation?

What do you think? I do need help!

The second race that I am doing I am perhaps the most excited about. Along with four (possibly five) other family members, we are running the Dances with Dirt 100k run in Hell, Michigan!


It's roughly 62 miles, so split up between the five of us, we each run a 5-6 mile leg twice. (I think, I am awful at math). And yes, it is in Hell. Michigan. Who really names their city that? It was quite the process getting signed up for this race, as one has to jump through a lot of hoops just to get registered. I don't quite get it, but you can ask my uncle, who did the Ultra here last year. (He's a stud). This big relay will include my husband, cousin-in-law, uncle-in-law, mom-in-law, and perhaps one other. At this race, all the teams come up with a 'team name,' and ours is "Go Dog Go."



So that's the racing news. Let me know your votes for which race! 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i think the U.P. would make a nice little vacation :)

Ruthie said...

Tough decision! I can see the benefits of both places. I'll try to support you whichever one you choose.

Dave Hocker said...

I vote for Marquette...and we leave the kids in Kzoo.

Corie said...

wow, I'm impressed by you. I'm still trying to get myself out the door to take a freaking WALK!

I vote for the UP.