3.14.2011

Pork and Fortune Cookies

I have been doing good with my resolution to do a new recipe a week, except for that one week I missed. Corie said that I am reprived from that one week, so I am not currently harboring any guilt or losing any sleep. Last week, I did the "Protein-Packed Grilled Cheese" which was amazing. Yum. This week I did "Orange-Glazed Pork," which turned out pretty good. If you want the recipe for the grilled cheese, let me know. Tonight, I am only going to share the pork recipe.

Orange-Glazed Pork
Glaze:
3 tablespoons orange marmalade
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons apple cider or white vinegar
2 cloves garlic, chopped (or garlic powder, if you are lazy like me)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoonred pepper flakes

2 lbs. pork tenderloin (I used three small pieces for my family)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup water

1. Preheat over to 400 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, whisk all the ingredients for the glaze until smooth. Warm the glaze over medium heat until it begins to bubble. Cook 10 to 15 minutes more, until the liquid is reduced by one quarter and the glaze thickens.
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle the pork loin with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large overproof skillet over high heat. Carefully add the pork and cook 10 minutes, turning once until both sides are brown.
3. Off the heat, add the glaze. Turn the pork once to coat in the glaze. Slide the skillet into the oven and bake until the glaze starts to brown around the inner edges of the skillet, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the skillet, add the water, and continue to bake 15 to 20 minutes more, until the pork is cooked through and the water has evaporated. Remove the pork to a cutting board and smooth the glaze until smooth. Slice the pork and serve with the glaze.

Though this recipe looks like it might take alot of work, it's super easy and you don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen. A lot of the time the pork is cooking in the oven, which is great. Also, the only ingredient that I actually needed to buy at the store was the orange marmalade. I love recipes that call for things I already have in my house! I just served it with stir fry veggies and brown rice. I ended up stirring some marmalade into the rice and it turned out pretty good.

I ended up getting some fortune cookies to go with this meal for dessert. I have to idea why Aldi did have fortune cookies, but they did. It was a fun treat to have them, but an even better treat to play the "in bed" game with them. Have you ever done that? When you get a fortune cookie and you're reading your fortune, add the words "in bed" to the end. They are so much better that way. Here are some of mine and Dave's favorites. (Make sure you add "in bed")

- "An unexpected visitor will bring you good blessings...."
- "Opportunity awaits you next Monday..."
- "Someone is speaking well of you.."
- "Be prepared to modify your plans..."
- "Don't underestimate yourself. Your social skills are needed by others at this time..."

Always makes for some good laughs.

Happy cooking!

4 comments:

Corie said...

Yeah, I always play the in bed game too-- whenever I have fortune cookies, which is not very often.

I want the grilled cheese recipe! Seeing as how I am not a pork-eater, despite how delicious your pork recipe may sound.

Karly said...

that does not sound like a g-rated game Cerissa!

Ruthie said...

I always do that, too -- at least in my head. I don't know where it started, but it does make for much more amusing fortunes! I'd like the grilled cheese recipe, too, pretty please.

susie said...

gee willy, ser-iss-say, how rude of you to not check my blog.