10.29.2014

Ordinary Life


"So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life- your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking around life- and place it before God as an offering." Romans 12:1-2 (The Message)

I just randomly logged onto Biblegateway this afternoon and this was the verse of the day. I really like how The Message words its interpretation of Biblical verses, it sometimes hits more to home than a more traditional (NIV) interpretation would. Today I was going to post these pictures about exactly what this verse is talking about, my everyday life. It got me thinking, that hopefully, somehow, my small existence with my kids and backyard and firetrucks and haunted houses is a good sweet offering. I haven't been doing as much quiet time and Bible reading as I have wanted to lately, and well, I don't know. I honestly don't know where this train of thought is going...but I think that all my time connecting with my kids and family and nature sometimes connects me more to God than reading a verse in Exodus. Or something like that. Even though I totally know that reading the Bible is a necessity in a growing relationship with Him. I just hope that sometimes in life seasons when that might be lacking, that sweet offering can still be offered.  I know I am not making any sense, but it is cathartic to at least write this out here!

This past weekend was gloriously, perfectly fall. For Michigan, it was sunshiny and warm, a rarity in this state in October. I think the high was 73!?! Leaves were on the ground, beckoning any passersby to come in and play. So we did. A local firehouse was also having it's annual kid friendly haunted house, so we went to that too. Any place that gives out free candy is a place my family will visit. 


When's the use of having so many kids if we don't make 'em work?

Joy. Pure kid joy!

Ready....

Throw! 




James tied two leaf steams together and called them "leaf buddies." Dave and I each received one. 

Jumping Delby!

At the haunted house. It looks so faded because there was a lot of smoke in there from 
the smoke machines! 



This skeleton's favorite candy

Yes, I totally bribed them with candy for this shot. 

And here it is! A picture of Bethy throwing a fit. It might look peaceful, but she was actually crying out here in this spot for quiet a while when I was loading everyone else into the car. 

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

What a great yard you've got for fall fun. I love the firehouse haunted house! And poor sweet Bethy -- I'm so sorry for you that she didn't love it as much ... Good stuff. Your life is a beautiful offering to God.

Unknown said...

I love that verse! And I love your thoughts. I was totally tracking with you. I agree-- your life is a beautiful offering! I'm glad that God has blessed us all with you :)