8.22.2011

A little try at DIY

I have some really crafty friends. Friends who make their own scrapbooks and cards, who make dresses out of old t-shirts, who make purses and wallets, and the list go on. I have awesome friends. Unfortuantely, I am not that crafty. It also seems that every time I find a new "mommy blog" on the interweb, not only are they super crafty and pros at DIY projects, they even have their own little shop on Etsy with all their cute things. Apparently, being cute and crafty is a requirement to be a mom, a category that I don't grade the highest. Yes, I can scrapbook, and yes, I can whip up a cute project for my kids to do every now and then. I can't, however, make my own curtains out of scraps found along the roadside and have them happen to match my bedroom. In fact when I was telling Dave the other day that I would like just a little sewing kit for Christmas with some needles and thread and such to do mending type things around the house, he jokingly laughed and said, "Why? Isn't that why we live so close to my mom, to send our things to her?" Ha. Ha.
With a little inspiration from my dear friend, Erin, I attempted a little project of my own. For a while, I have had a nice little black and white bedspread that I love. The furniture in my room, however, was very not black. She has a dresser in her room that was at one point white and is now black. She said it was pretty simple to do, all she used was spray paint! Well, seemed easy enough for me! Off to Wal-Mart I went with a renewed crafty sense of purpose and energy.

The Before Shot.
I have one book shelf, one night stand, and a kids rocking chair I found at a garage sale for 25 cents! The chair had a little rust, but since I was feeling brave, I got a can of white spray paint to change the it from green to white.

My great husband helping me out. He's such a trooper.

Here I am, midway through the project. As you can see, it was pretty dark, so we stopped and finished up another day.


And the finished projects, if you please....

I am pretty happy with how they turned out. My bedroom definitely feels more uniform now! I am glad I did it! Here's the rocking chair...

I am pleased with the chair as well. Clara reeeally loves it. I just need the help of Lauren or Jes or someone else to help me make a cover for the seat and back. It's not too horribly ugly now, but I would like it to match Clara's room somehow, with pinks and reds. If you can help a girl out, let me know!

I am glad I got brave and did some little projects. I feel a little better the next time I want to do something around the house!

5 comments:

The Rudds said...

Great job! I really like how your room looks!

Lauren said...

Look at you being all crafty and fabulous. Those furniture pieces in your room look great! Give Jes or I a shout when you know what you need done to the rocking chair. It's sure to be stinkin' cute as well.

jes said...

Oh! It's a macrame thing going on... wonder if fabric paint would work on there... A cover would be simple to make, all you'll need is some fabric. We could even make you matching curtains ;D Pretty sure I don't have any pink or red on hand... blue & green courd with a flower pattern? yes... let's go shopping!!!! :D I love Field's Fabric on Portage Rd by the airport... :D

Ruthie said...

Fabulous! Those look GREAT! I think you should definitely get a sewing kit. Maybe I'll have a little talk with Santa about that. Not that I'm not happy to help you out, but a girl should have their own, you know?

Lisa M said...

Adorable! I love this blog. I'm glad im not the only mommy that doesn't feel crafty! All these mom blogs are supposed to inspire, but they just make me feel even more like I have no clue how to make a curtain out of scraps, haha.

Your blog however has officially inspired! :)