8.12.2011

California Gurls

You're thinking of Katy Perry now, right? If you're not, something's wrong with you. Just kidding...Or not.

If you don't know (but I am guessing you do), I am oringinally from California. Not even the cool NorCal part of California, but L.A. Even as I type this, some of you (including my husband who is reading over my shoulder which I don't mind at allllll...ahem....) maybe thinking that the L.A. part is way cooler. Well trust me, I grew up there. I'd trade my collection of wicker baskets to live in the northern part than the southern part any day (that is if I still lived there). It is probably cool to live in L.A. if you are a movie star with lots of money and can shop at cool stores where they only make size 0 and you happen to be size 0, but unfortunately, I am not nor will ever be any of those things. Or it can be cool if you like the beach. I don't.

I won't completely bag on it, however, because I grew up with good friends, went to good private schools (Eww. Doesn't that make me sound awful? I apologize), and met my husband at college there. I have lots of fun, awesome memories growing up in those suburbs. And Pasadena is really cool....so there are good things. But for me, I didn't want to end up there my whole life. Or raise a family in all that concrete. I do like to visit.

This whole big, long California Rant was to say that my dear dear friends from California are out in Michigan, and I was able to see them today. It was so great and wonderful and fun and excellent to spend time with these three ladies. The one down side to moving 2,000 miles away from your family and friends after you graduate college is not getting to see my dear friends and family regularly. I really miss those people in my life who were so pivotal during my early years. I'm always trying to get people come out and visit me, so whenever it does happen, it's exciting. I'm also so glad they get to see and hang out with my kids.

Though Rebecca, Sara, and Julie were out here for some sad reasons, it was nonetheless good to see them and catch up on life. We met at the Cracker Barrel, which I guess you have to do if you are visiting the midwest. Just like if you go to L.A., you must, MUST go to In-n-Out. It just has to happen.

James and Rebecca

Cracker Barrel Rocking Chair and Checkers. And Sara.

My Sweet Delby


All the hot ladies. And James.

Thanks you ladies for making the trip to see us, we so appreciate it!


5 comments:

Corie said...

how fun that we both got to see good friends this week! I'm glad you were able to meet up with them. Do they all still live in CA?

Ruthie said...

What a special treat for you. I bet you wish they could stay with you for a few days (weeks) instead of just a quick Cracker Barrel visit. I'm sure it did your heart good to see them!

Ruthie said...

Every time I click on your bookmark, and see that it's still "California Gurls" the song starts going through my head for the rest of my day. I finally get it out, and forget about it, until I click on your bookmark again.....it's a horrible, vicious cycle. You should probably make a new blog post.

Ruthie said...

ps. what did you find out about your knees?

Ruthie said...

ps. what did you find out about your knees?