7.22.2011

From our special guest contributor

Hi and thanks for having me. I'm honored to be writing in such a famous place. Clara and Cerissa had "girl time" today which as far as I can tell just meant shopping, while James and I went out on the lake to fish and swim for boy time (what a sterotypical family). I was asked by one of the girls to give an account of boy time on her blog. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking:

We left right after he got up and had rice crispies for breakfast on the boat.

 This was the first of five fish that we caught.  He 'helped' with this one.  He was in charge of deciding whose turn it was and which bait we would use.
 And wouldn't you know it, he liked doing it "all by himself."  It might not have been as effective, but he did a pretty good job.  He could cast with only a small amount of help (timing the release of the button), and he could reel by himself.  He would randomly decide that he "had one" and start reeling in very quickly, but there were never any fish on there when he did that.
 We took a couple swimming breaks.  Somehow during the process of getting into his suit the first time, this pose happened.  Awesome.
This is one he actually did almost all of the work on by himself.  He cast it (about five feet), and a fish started nibling within seconds (just a couple feet under water, we could see it).  I grabbed onto the pole to set the hook and he reeled it in (as I held him to make sure he didn't fall in)!  I'm not sure which one of us was prouder.
 He was very interested in looking at (and touching) every fish.  After he seemed to have his fill, he would let me know that it was time to unhook it.  A couple of times he picked them up and/or threw them back.
Speaking of throwing them back, maybe in the year 2029, James and I will share some beers on the lake while we fish together.  Until then, looks like Meijer Red Pop will have to do the trick.  What a fun day!

3 comments:

The Rudds said...

I love it! Good job boys. :) Such a typical Michigan family. ;)

Ruthie said...

So great! Thanks for posting! I'm so glad you're taking your little guy fishing. Where'd you get the poles? I think it's grand. Do we get an update on Cerissa and Clara's day, too?

Corie said...

oh, so cute! I doubt i could get Jason to post anything on my blog!