5.02.2015

May Day

I am a sucker for community events. Back in Michigan, Richland was amazing at putting on excellent kid and family friendly activites. Fourth Of July is just spectacular there with a parade, cookout, and fireworks. Wassailing was one of my favorite days of the year, where on a cold December day you could drink wassail and go frolicking around to all the local business and get some soup, cookies, and general jovial Christmas cheer. Needless to say, the new town we picked had some big shoes to fill.

Today was May Day, and our new little community didn't disappoint. To kick off the opening of a new park and start a series they have called "First Saturdays," the whole town was open to celebrate May Day. Downtown all the businesses were open and there was a farmers market in the newly refurbished park in the center of town. At the library, the girls made may day baskets to collect the flowers that each business was passing out. Once you reached the end of town at the florist shop, you handed over all your flowers to be created into a flower crown! I mean seriously. Is there any better type of crown? They also had a may pole dance put on by the high school cheerleaders. Partway through, they offered up the opportunity for any of the littles in the crowd to come join in. Bethy was game, and I about melted watching her hold her little ribbon.

Events like these fill a place in my heart in like nothing else. And to top all the wonderfulness of the day, it was a perfectly sunny 70 degrees out. The boys are out backpacking this weekend, so it's just me and the girls (well, and Ben). They can go climb mountains while we girls go get flowers in our hair.

May Day flower baskets

Bethy collecting dandelions for her basket

The view from the park overlooking the wildlife refuge

Ben

They are totally stoked, right?

Pure magic right here!


Clara watching her crown being put together

The finished product!

I think this is what heaven looks like. 




2 comments:

Ruthie said...

I'm so happy for you. I think you've landed in a good spot!

Unknown said...

what a sweet tradition!