In my last post I brought up two things that were uncertain variables in my life. The first was going to (and running with) Dave's cross country team, and the second was Bethy's inability to sleep soundly through the night.
Well I have good news!
Cross country practice was AWESOME. Not only did I complete the workout that Dave gave his kids (teenagers/young adult/what have you) to do (let's lean heavy on complete, and not so much on what state I was in once I was done...), but it was such a blessing to step in a be a part of his world. So often he comes home from practice, be it football, track, or cross country, and tells me stories. Stories of the kids, their families, the successes of the day and the failures. And I love these stories. I love seeing his heart come alive and his eyes spark as he shares these tales with me. It's his heart. His passion. Yet something is always missing. I've never seen these kids, never met them. If he tells me a story about a kid who has been behind all season but finally grabs a PR in a hurdle race, I'm excited, but only on the surface. I can't imagine this kid. I can't see the obstacles that he might have faced these season. I haven't seen the heartbreak hes carried on his face all season and the look of victory he wears at the end. I only hear the stories. So to go to a practice, meet some of these kids, and even run with some of them, was. so. good. I have a face with that story now, a person who I can actually imagine and have interacted with. It's such a refreshing feeling to ask about so and so and actually have a real, true, live connection with them. Hopefully this summer will bring more of these experiences!
These past two nights of Bethy's sleep have been great. I wouldn't venture to say amazing, but I'll certainly take great. She's only woke up once, and that was at 5:45 to nurse and promptly go back to sleep. I can live with that. I don't know around what age they are supposed to stop nursing at night (Anyone?) so until I know, I suppose I'll keep this early morning feeding continuing. I think with Clara she just phased out nursing at night on her own, so I really don't know what I'm to do. But huzzah for sleep! I feel like a new woman in the morning.
So those are the updates. In other news, we went to the zoo today. It was absolutely perfect and wonderful weather, an oddity in the humid state of Michigan in July. The kids were (mostly) good, and I love the zoo. Our zoo has this spot where you can feed the giraffes some little lettuce leaves, and the kids just about burst at the opportunity to do this. And I'll freely admit it- those baby giraffes are darn cute.
1 comment:
That does sound like a lot of fun to get to know "his" kids. And what a great way to sneak in some fitness, too! Glad you were able to go to the zoo and have nice weather for it. As far as not nursing at night.....ummm...I'm probably not the best one to ask.
Post a Comment