7.08.2013

Independence Day

How does one write a blog again? I seem to have forgotten.

I think it has to do with entering words and phrases and sentences on certain days, consistently throughout the year.

Yeah, I must have forgotten.

...

Moving on.

It's the Fourth! I have to say, the way my little town celebrates this holiday of freedom and independence is just the best ever. I would gladly pit my town against yours in a "Which-town-celebrates-the-date-our-Founding-Fathers-declared-themselves-free-from-Britain best" contest, and know that my town would win. Yeah, it's that good. It has all sort of feel good Americana stuff goin' on all day that does make you proud to be an American.

There's the annual 5K in the morning, parade before noon, Rotary Club chicken grill out in the village square afterwards, and general good fun the rest of the day through. (I will say, though, that there is a little too much good-natured fun leading up to the Fourth and on the days following. Seriously. People like their fireworks. All. The. Time. I like my quiet and am a rather crotchety old women when it comes to fireworks not actually on the Fourth.  If you see a crazy lady in her lawn shaking her fists and her neighbors every time one goes off on July Ninth, that would be me. True story- I am listening to them now as I type this. Not okay.)

Here's how my family does it:

Don't mess with the one pullin' the wagon. 

I physically want to eat. her. up. 

And bless my heart this picture gets me. Can time stop just a little? Please?

My Delby. 


Watch out for this one, if you know what's good for you...
This girl. On my lap. Definitely makes my top ten list of best feelings ever.  

Parade lovers. And lovers of mine. 

And this is how we do Red, White and Blue!


Exquisite horseshoe toss form demonstrated by one strapping young male.  

Pickin' some mulberries
Lickin' some mulberries

That pretty red, white, and blue dress didn't last too long once we got home. I think underwear is more patriotic though, right? Our Founding Fathers would be so proud. 

The boys and their toys. 

Backyard fireworks. 


1 comment:

Ruthie said...

YAY YAY YAY! A thousand times yay. What spectacular pictures. They all make me feel all warm and fuzzy and patriotic. Thank you for posting them! (Now if I only knew how to snag them from here for my July slide show....)