8.05.2013

Blueberries for Sal Part Two

We like to go berry picking in the summer. It's one of those annual family things that I always look forward to. I don't know what makes it special- the idyllic notion of picking your own berries, being out in nature, spending the day as a family, or the simple truth that this little outing has become a tradition in our family over the years. Whatever the reason, I just anticipate the day each summer. Here's the time two years ago that we went blueberry picking. And since as you know, I stopped blogging for years and years, I don't have a post about last year's trip. Bummer. Last year we drove up to Saugatuk, went to the beach, and afterwards went blueberry and raspberry picking. And I was hugely pregnant.

This year, we went up to Kendall's Farm, the same place we went two years ago. It's such a low key establishment, which is perfect. There's a little shed where you pick up your bucket, fields to go picking in, then once your done you return to that same shed to pay for your bounty. Simple, easy, and no gimmicks. Perfect!

So, there, uh, maybe, might be a lot of pictures. But don't say you weren't warned, okay? Okay.

This is some of the countryside that we past on the way there. I know. Beautiful. 

Mind you, immediately to the left of Bethy was a blue porta potty. 
With just a little zoom, it's a perfect setting for a kid picture. Right?

We're ready to go!





My husband has mad skillz with the camera I tell ya. 

I call this first series "Bethy and the Blueberry: A Step by Step Guide to Eating a Blueberry." 
First, pick a blueberry. 

Examine it...

Put it in your mouth...

Put your fingers in a well....

Ponder that sweet taste. And your finger. 

It's good! Success!

Wait. Wait. Something's not right. 

Get this out of here!

Spit out skin. 

I think our buckets are about half full by now. 
The kiddos are faithfully chugging on with their berry picking duties. 

This may or may not be a contrived shot by their mother. I won't say. But I do love it. 

And talkin' about lovin' it...

these two take the cake!

This also might be a shot in response to someone's request...

I'll never tell. 

It's sure hard work. Picking and picking and picking. 

Sometimes you just need to rest!

Or run away from your mother. 

Sometimes it hard getting a good shot of everyone where there are so many people involved!

I call this series "Bethy Discovers Sour"



And this is my favorite ever. 

All done!

Let's put our hands in it!

And if this isn't the face of a girl who conquered blueberries, I don't know what is. 

My last series is entitled: "Family Pictures: The futile search for the perfect shot"
Shot One: Set family up where you'd like them. No one is paying attention. 

Shot Two: Blurry and a head is chopped. Bethy's looking down. Try again!

Shot Three: Better. Everyone is in the shot, but Bethy apparently is still hungry. Or likes to bite Dave. 

Shot Four: Good Enough! We can just zoom and crop later!

And that's all folks!

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

Fantastic! Wonderful. I LOVE reading about your adventures, and the two series of Elizabeth are more precious than I can say. What are you doing with all these blueberries? I would happily take some off your hands if you still have any to spare.

Ruthie said...

Fantastic! Wonderful. I LOVE reading about your adventures, and the two series of Elizabeth are more precious than I can say. What are you doing with all these blueberries? I would happily take some off your hands if you still have any to spare.

Ruthie said...

a comment so nice I left it twice?